Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 29, 2010

Prosthetic

My Husband and I have decided that we ARE going to get Kyla a prosthetic. After talking with the two Mom's I met in Seattle, I have decided that it would probably be the right choice for us. Originally we were thinking we wouldn't go this route, but that has changed, mainly due to talking to other parents who have already gone through and experienced things we have yet to experience. Prosthetics can be VERY expensive, sometimes as much as $20,000. I called my insurance last week and they said prosthetics are covered at 100%, so I plan to call back up to Seattle tomorrow and let them know this is what we want to do. One of the Mom's I met started her daughter out at 7 months of age and the other at 9 months. The only somewhat downside to the whole thing is either myself or my Husband have to work with Kyla on using her prosthetic for at least an hour a day, if not 2 or 3 hours/day. This is on top of her physical therapy we already do. So.... it's going to take some of our time, but I guess getting them started learning how to use their prosthetic limbs when they are young is the key to ensuring success if they chose to wear one once they are an adolescent/adult. Greg thinks she will look super cute too, which she already does. ;) I saw a photo of a little guy online once and he had a little "Finding Nemo" prosthetic... they look like a mitten hands at first, but then as they get older, change. I am wondering if they have a Disney Princesses one...totally going to get that one for her if they have something like that. Anyway, super tired and irritated that I do not have a computer that is either 1) working right now, or 2) the video card reader is working right now.... I really need to get some current photos uploaded. Anyway that was off subject. Going to go relax with the Hubby now. Post more when I know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment