Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 22, 2010

Trauma

So at random times thoughts pop into my head about things I might not have discussed on my blog yet.  I was thinking the other day and I remembered that I hadn't covered trauma during my pregnancy.  They say that they think ABS is caused from trauma during pregnancy.  I had two instances of what might be considered trauma, but at the time I didn't think much about it. 

The first one happened when I was just barely pregnant, like maybe 8 weeks or something.  It was before I started getting sick and that was pretty far into my 1st trimester.  My Husband and I had asked to babysit my niece for a bit and take her out to ride her bike.  I don't have a bike so my niece road her bike (she was 4 yrs old at the time and still had training wheels on) and my Husband rode his bike and Amber's brillant idea was to rollerblade.  I like rollerblading (my Husband and I used to cover some serious miles when we were dating and we had a lot of fun and it was a good workout).  Anyway so I am rollerblading and my niece decided that she wanted to hold my hand and ride her bike next to me.  So I reached over, grabbed her hand and soon after that she steered her bike into the side of me and I hit the pavement.  I landed kind of like flat on my back.  It was a hard enough hit that it ripped my brand new ski jacket that is made out of pretty tough material in the elbow.  I was fine but my Husband was pretty upset and I'm not sure why I was not smarter to begin with - I guess I thought it wasn't a huge deal I was pregnant and I would be fine rollerblading - I had never fallen before.  I didn't have any problems like bleeding or anything afterward so I just forgot about it.

The second occurance was when I was about 5 or 6 months pregnant and where we used to live we had some younger neighbors who we were friends with and I was outside talking to the neighbor guy and his dog who was a mastiff puppy (but was giant) was outside running around chasing our dogs.  Well this puppy was just that, a puppy that was clumsy and didn't watch where he was going and he was pretty wild when he played with our dogs - he just didn't realize how big he was.  So he was running after our dogs and I was talking to the neighbor guy and my dog ran past me and the Mastiff was running after her and ran right into my legs.  My legs came out from underneath me and somehow I was able to get my feet back under me so that I did not hit the ground.  The hit hurt though, because I'm not that big and this dog is giant and was running full speed when he hit me.  My toe got cut up and was bleeding pretty good from the dog's nails so I went inside and put a bandaid on it and laid down on the couch.  My stomach did hurt after this and for what I remember to be a couple hours.  Not horrible or anything, but kind of felt like cramping.  I cried a little because I was worried that I was going to like go into labor or something and told my Husband that if I did that she probably wouldn't make it because her lungs wouldn't have been fully developed by that point.  LOL, oh the joys or being prego and emotional. 

So there ya have it.  That was the only "trauma" I experienced during my pregnancy if it can even be classified as such.  Definately not like some of the other parents of children with ABS that I have talked to who have been in car accidents when they were pregnant, and that kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment